Sunday, August 23, 2009

SWIRLIES

Swirlies -- "Sunn" (live in Philadelphia) from Matt Graves on Vimeo.


Swirlies -- "Sounds of Sebring" (Excerpt -- live in Philly) from Matt Graves on Vimeo.



Swirlies "Bell" Mercury Lounge NYC Feb 27th 2009 from sean Dack on Vimeo.


this is probably my favorite band of all time. the perfect blend of shoegaziness, punk, experimentation, sweetness, aggressiveness and pop that has the power to make my broke ass fly to nyc for two nights and one day just because i'm always scared that i'll never see them again.
when i first saw them here in l.a., i went to both spaceland shows and drove the next night to see them in san diego at the casbah with my friends nana, adrian and eric (pastilla). i just couldn't believe that these icons of my life were actually here! in california! that they would play shows in small clubs and i would gleefully be there.
the shows were imperfect technically (gear busting up, bass player ((not andy))falling over because he was too drunk, awkward silences after applauses) but perfect in the sense that it allowed me to see that they were just human too. that they, these gods in my mind, had the same kinda problems at shows that i had come across. sure its silly to think that they wouldn't but you have to understand that they truly were and still are the coolest shit ever to me. the music they have made is a soundtrack to many a happy time in my life. i could play their records anytime and it would just cheer me up. i don't think theres anything else that can guarantee that. besides "Start Today" by Gorilla Biscuits but thats another story...

you can download most of their stuff from their website.
check it out. you won't be sorry, i promise.

SWIRLIES

No comments:

Post a Comment

spill yer guts